Loudoun County Public Schools began a program called the LCPS Backpack Coalition in support of the existing BackPack Buddies Program. The LCPS Backpack Coalition collaborates with many organizations and businesses, including 100WomenStrong, Loudoun Education Foundation, Loudoun Interfaith Relief, and Blue Ridge Area Food Bank to ensure no child goes hungry.Over a two year period, 100WomenStrong matched 100 percent of each dollar donated up to $100,000 toLoudoun Education Foundation in support of the Backpack Coalition. With your support, the matching challenge exceeded its goal, raising more than $200,000 to help hungry children enhance their ability to learn.
Please continue to support the LCPS Backpack Coalition with Tax-Free Monetary donations, accepted through http://lef-va.com/donate.html
Backpack Coalition Facts and Figures
- Did you know that in Loudoun County alone, there are over 16,000 children that are food insecure? Food insecure is “the limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate and safe food.”
- The Backpack Coalition provides the opportunity to directly impact the lives of elementary school children by providing them with food on the weekends.
- Backpack food includes easy-to-prepare, shelf-stable food items. Each week The Backpack Coalition will provide a bag filled with 6 meals and 2 snacks for the child to take home for the weekend.
- The Backpack Coalition follows the Feed America standards menu to make sure the food is kid-friendly, nutritious, nonperishable and easy-to-prepare.
- A passionate parent, teacher, nurse, counselor, community advocate or corporate supporter elects to start the program in a local school. Once a school is adopted, the Backpack Coalition will provide the program framework.
- For just $5.00, a child can be fed on the weekend. This amounts to $300 for an entire school year.
“Hunger doesn’t take weekends off.”